Making a complaint about my energy supplier

How do I make a complaint about my energy suppler?

To complain about your energy supplier, follow the steps below.

  • Step 1 – Please contact your energy supplier first.

  • Step 2 - If your supplier does not solve the complaint/query, or if you are not happy with their response, please contact the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland.

  • Step 3 - If the Consumer Council is unable to deal with your complaint, or resolve the matter to your complete satisfaction, they may be able to refer it to us, providing it is something we have the legal authority to make a determination on.

What happens when the Utility Regulator investigates a matter you have raised?

If your complaint is one that we can make a formal determination on, we will consider all the relevant facts and:

  • contact the company with specific questions about your complaint and discuss how it can be resolved

  • work impartially in order to arrive at a fair and satisfactory outcome.

  • keep you fully informed.

  • attempt to issue a determination on each complaint in as short a time as possible. However, some determinations can take four months or more to issue.

Our contact details are: 

  • Address: The Utility Regulator, Queens House, 14 Queen Street, Belfast BT1 6ED  

  • Email:                                                                                                           

  • Telephone: 028 9031 1575

What if I’m not satisfied with the service I receive from the Utility Regulator?

  • If you are unhappy with our service, please refer to our complaints procedure which details how you can seek a solution to your complaint.

  • You can also complain to the Northern Ireland Ombudsman if you are unhappy with the service provided.

Address: The Ombudsman, Freepost BEL 1478, Belfast BT1 6BR
Telephone: 02890 233821