NISEP Framework Document published and registration for 2022-2023 Primary Bidders open

The Utility Regulator has published information for those interested in becoming a Primary Bidder for NISEP 2022-2023. NISEP funding is available for energy efficiency schemes, which must be implemented in the 2022-2023 programme year.

All companies licensed by the Utility Regulator in Northern Ireland who accept the terms and sign the Accedence Agreement alongside other organisations that meet the required criteria, are eligible to register with the Programme Administrator (currently the Energy Saving Trust), to become Primary Bidders and bid for NISEP funding.

All Primary Bidders intending to bid for funding for the coming year must:

  • Complete the Call for Schemes Registration Form and return it to the Energy Saving Trust by 14 October 2021;
  • Sign and return the Accedence Document (found within the Framework Document) to the Energy Saving Trust by 5 November 2021; and
  • Send a copy of their organisation’s fraud policy and fraud response plan, including a statement of zero tolerance to fraud, to the Energy Saving Trust by 5 November 2021.

Copies of the Registration Form and Accedence Document are also available from the Energy Saving Trust. Failure to submit any of these documents on time may result in scheme submissions being rejected.

The NISEP Framework Document for 2022-2023 provides the rules and procedures for organisations wishing to participate in the 2022-2023 programme.  This document has been updated since the previous version published in September 2020. The Framework Document contains detailed information on the operation of the NISEP and the process for submitting scheme proposals. Primary Bidders must ensure that they adhere to all the requirements for submitting a bid, as set out in Section 4 of the Framework Document, and include all the necessary information within their submission.

Any organisation that is interested in submitting schemes but is not yet registered to become a Primary Bidder, should contact the Energy Saving Trust as soon as possible and at the latest by 14 October 2021 (to allow time for the registration process).  The criteria that must be met in order for an organisation to be allowed to register are set out in section 1.4 of the Framework Document.

The total NISEP funding available for 2022-2023 is £7,941,946 with 80% of the funding available for schemes that target priority (vulnerable) domestic properties, i.e. low income households deemed to be in, or at risk of, fuel poverty. The remaining 20% of the funding can be used for schemes aimed at non-priority customers, including both domestic and non-domestic customers, with the exception of innovative schemes, which may include priority customers. Within these two main categories, there are further ring-fenced divisions of the funding which are detailed in section 1.7 of the Framework Document.

Submissions for scheme funding should be sent to Energy Saving Trust, which as Programme Administrator evaluates schemes on the Utility Regulator’s behalf. The Energy Saving Trust’s email address is provided below. Following receipt of the completed registration form, Energy Saving Trust will send out a submission pack including electronic copies of the most up-to-date versions of the submission summary form and excel spreadsheet/s, which must be used for scheme submissions.

The deadline for the submission of schemes is 31 December 2021. 

Energy Saving Trust will give advice and guidance to Primary Bidders up until this date but schemes must be in their final and complete format by the deadline. Any bids received after 31 December 2021 may not be considered for funding and any submissions that are incomplete or of insufficient quality may also be rejected. Please note that it is the responsibility of applicants to ensure that the information provided within their scheme submissions is accurate and fully compliant with the Framework Document. 

Energy Saving Trust will evaluate the proposals for schemes, as part of a competitive process, and make recommendations to the Utility Regulator for approval.

The Utility Regulator will hope to formally notify applicants by March 2022 as to whether their submissions have been successful or not in obtaining funding. However, please note that delays to the approvals process may occur if the Energy Saving Trust is required to seek clarification and/or further information on points within any of the scheme submissions.

To contact Energy Saving Trust for further information and to submit funding bids, please email nisep@est.org.uk