Getting help and support

Who do you talk to if you are struggling to pay your energy bills?

  • If you are struggling to pay for your energy, please contact your supplier as soon as possible.
  • Suppliers will work with you to agree a repayment plan if you have fallen behind with your energy bills.
  • If you already have a repayment plan, suppliers can review this for you if you are struggling to keep up with the payments.
  • If you use a prepayment meter and have a repayment plan in place to clear your debt, suppliers can review the amount of debt that is taken off each top-up you make so this is affordable for you.
  • You can also contact your supplier and check if you are on the cheapest tariff available to you.
  • Paying by direct debit may also be cheaper if it is suitable for you – please contact your supplier for advice on this.
  • Your supplier can also offer you advice on using gas or electricity more efficiently to help you reduce your bills.
  • If you feel you are struggling to make ends meet and need help, you can also contact a money advisor at one of the following organisations:

Advice NI: Freephone 0800 915 4604  StepChange: Freephone 0800 138 1111 

Further information is also available from NI Direct's website.

Additional supports

You can also check if you are eligible for support from the government

  • Winter Fuel Payment: If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. You will usually get this automatically if you are eligible and get State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Child Benefit or Universal Credit). If you are eligible but don’t get paid automatically, you will need to make a claim.
  • Cold weather payment: If you're receiving certain benefits, you could qualify for extra money for each week there is very cold weather in your area.
  • Fuel Direct Scheme: You can have some of your bills (including rent, services charges, fuel or water bills) paid directly out of your benefits payments if you’re having difficulties (this is also known as ‘third party deductions’). You can find more information on the NI direct website. If you receive Pension credit, contact the pension centre for more information.